Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Labbaik & al-baik




Excitement city over here....I am finally going for umrah after nearly 4 years :) Can't begin to explain the simmering restlessness I am feeling right now, coupled with a deeply content sense of homecoming. Inshallah...just one more day.

Labbaik allahumma labbaik :)

I guess in a way I am relieved that God hasn't left me adrift after I left Saudi, and has decided that I am worthy of making another trip. I can't imagine being in the world and yet being unable to go visit the haram. Truly, we are fortunate. I hope all of you guys get to come and experience the spiritually uplifting and soul-cleansing journey sometime soon. Speaking for myself, being in Makkah puts life in perspective and gives me a grounding I normally lose during the chaos of day-to-day living. A superficial existence, at best, I really need to feel as if there is hope for me yet...I haven't completely screwed up...and the heart-to-hearts I engage in with Allah are being heard.




Great bit is that we also get to spend a couple days in Madinah. My favorite memories of that city are going for tahajjud and looking up to see the minarets glowing against a pitch black sky. Mom and I also have the tradition that after fajr we would go for salaam and then after that head over to the hotel restaurant for a buffet breakfast. Hehehe I am looking forward to the buffet nearly as much :P



During all this, we will also be hitting up Jeddah for a couple hours at a time (since it's just 45 minutes from Makkah) to see our old family friends and shop and eat....ten bucks to the person who can guess what my first stop would be :P

Or nevermind! BEHOLD!!!




Everyone at work, people I know...they've ALL asked that I bring them back some of this manna. I am not really sure how I will manage to bring back that much chikkin without arousing suspicion, but imma try :D mmmmmm!!!!! Mouth watering already lol. Naturally, the second stop will be to the bakala around the corner for:



THE SAUDI SHAWARMA!!!! Those of you who haven't had it, haven't lived. Notice the conspicuous lack of frivolous distractions such as salad :P Meat! garlic sauce! fries! pita! *perfect*

Wish me luck girls, will pray for you all...if I owe any of you money, forgive me...if I owe you apologies or amends...accept them now with my love.

Inshallah talk to you guys when I get back :)

2 comments:

Tamreez said...

Oh wow, I didn't realize you were leaving for umrah so soon...I thought you were still planning it. Great it worked out.

It's hilarious how the spiritual and the profane features equally important in your post...well at least you mentioned the spiritual first! lol...just kidding...have a great time inshallah.

hugg

Tamreez said...

ps. Hadn't seen that old picture of the kaaba. it's really cool :)